SC - Plums period?

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed Aug 6 16:01:02 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.

Adamantius writes:

>If you're talking about the little Italian Prune plums, then while I
>don't know for sure that they're period, I can only assume that
>something very like them were what dried prunes were made from. They, of
>course, were pretty widely used in perod, all over Europe.

Hmmm... "prune" is the Middle English word for plum (well, one of them;
an earlier is "bola").  In English recipes, there's no indication that
prunes are used dried, and expert opinion is primarily to the contrary.
But I don't know about the continent.  I've been assuming that they were
using the fresh too; but that's an assumption.  Do you have any data?

When a variety is mentioned in English recipes, it's normally damsyns,
but I have no idea whether they are also available now.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry