Re- SC - chicken on string

Mary Hysong ladymari at GILA.NET
Sat Aug 9 21:54:27 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> Hi, Katerine here.  Mairi quotes from Helen Morgenthau Fox:
>
> >In the sixteenth century, skirrets, Sium sisarum, were brought to
> Europe
> >from Siberia and Persia, where they grew wild.
>
> The only problem is that they are ingredients in two recipes in Forme
> of
> Curye (#7 and #152, as edited in Cury on Inglysch), which dates from
> the
> fourteenth century.  Either she has her history wrong, or these are
> something different.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've gotton a lot of e-mail lately, and
trying to keep up!

I'm not sure why the discrepency, Ms. Fox did not include a bibliography
or footnote her work, more's the pity. She was writing during WWII for
home gardeners trying to get through rationing, ect. However, in the
preface she does list the following references:  Publications on home
gardening, food preservation, ect. from the USDA, pahpmlets from the New
York Btoanical Gardens about edible plants, the pamphlet by Elias
Yanofsky, "Food Plants of the North American Indians", 'innumerable
cookbooks, as well as travel books of early explorers'. "Hortus" by L.
H. Bailey; "The Principles of Vegetable Gardening: also by Baily; H.C.
Thompson's "Vegetable Crops" Willaim Robinson's translation of
Vilmorin's "The Vegetable Garden" E. Lewis Surtevant's "Notes on Edible
Plants"; D. Bois' "Les Plantes Almentaires a Travers les Ages, Paris
1927; A. Escoffier's "Le Guide Culinare", Paris, 1921 ; L. JHean
Gogert's "Nutrition and Physical Fitness, 1940.

We might run a search on the 'Net,....

for now
Mairi
Mary Hysong <Lady Mairi Broder, Atenveldt Kingdom Scribe> and  Curtis
Edenfield <The C-Man>
Canyon Keep Ent.: Step back to the past with Mary-handspun yarns &
Natural Fibers: Into the Future with Curtis-Computer Consulting,
Graphics & Design<<<*>>>E-Mail ladymari at gila.net