SC - sauces-longish

Jeanne Stapleton jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu
Mon Aug 11 15:27:57 PDT 1997

> Noemi writes:
>
> > Out of curiousity, and clarification, is a sauce something that is
> > added to a dish just prior to serving?  I was thinking of things
> > like, for lack of a better and period example,  things like a
> > paprikas where it definitely has a sauce, but it is what the dish
> > was cooked in as well.
>
> At least for roast meats, a sauce was often added to a dish NOT
> prior to serving, but by the diners themselves.  Sorta like ketchup
> in a modern restaurant.  (Katerine, can you confirm this for me?)
>
> It can work very nicely to serve a single big hunk of meat with
> three or four different sauces on the side: it allows the diners to
> try a couple of different flavors, and takes less work than
> preparing four different dishes.

This has been my impression from reading sauce recipes in
translations of period cookbooks, and was the theory behind
"sauce night" that we did with the Madrone Culinary Guild a
couple of years back.

I have often wondered why our feasts do not feature a big
joint with sauces offered to those who will.  We do seem to
be held captive to the modern idea that one has to *do*
something to the chicken by way of putting the sauce stuff
on it and baking it (a la the perpetual meat and fruit something--
sorry, one of my sensibilities is that I *do* dislike meat and
fruit, at least really sweet fruit, cooked together, and that is
almost inevitable at SCA feasts) or it isn't a feast or "fancy
occasion".

I wonder why this is?

Berengaria

jstaplet at adm.law.du.edu