SC - Re-Crustade Lombard

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Wed Aug 20 09:11:06 PDT 1997

                      RE>SC - Re:Crustade Lombarde, AnÉ            8/20/97

<snip>
We're making a cheese custard here. The parsley is there to curdle the cream
to a small extent. The straining is necessary to eliminate the whey (and make
it thick/strong enough to "stand" ie: can be thick enough to mold, or
<snip>
We have allowed our fascination with the whole whipping/straining issue to
cloud our ability to read the recipe as printed. So yes, Katherine was right.
There is no beating going on here. We are draining curdled cream to make a
cream cheese custard (not in the <snip>
Aoife, running out to see if the post-drought rain has made any positive
effect on her parsley bed (having already bought the marrow, cream,
prunes,dates, etc. I shall have to blame you all if I become a candidate for
quadruple by-pass ;^D).
<snip>

What a cool idea!  I think my whipped cream question may have added to the
"strain" (doh!).  Please do let the rest of us know if this redaction works.
It makes a lot of sense if you compare it to say a quiche, where you are
binding the cheese and other components together with eggs.  And thank you for
sharing, this will definitely make me think twice when I look at recipes in
the future.  Unless I had tried the recipe and added enough fresh parsley to
see some curdling effects, I would never have made the connection.
- -brid