Re- SC - Smoking Questions

Mark Harris mark_harris at risc.sps.mot.com
Wed Aug 20 15:39:50 PDT 1997

mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib asked:

>> I am a blacksmith and technology researcher whose preferred medium is
>> fire(surprise) and am the perpetrator of the ongoing Iron furnace research
>> at Pennsic.

>Whoa!  I must have missed this.  Is somebody running an iron furnace at
>Pennsic?

I know that William the Smith and his cohorts have done this several times
over the years. Since I wasn't there this time, I don't know if they did
it then. But at Pennsic XXV they had a small one, about waist high and
several feet wide at the base. Inside they had layered charcoal and iron
ore and lit it. After it had burned down, they broke the clay shell open
and proceed to beat the lumps of iron/carbon mixture until they had
useable metal. They also had two forges going in the camp.

I also remember a wood lathe in someone's camp back at Pennsic XXI where
they were turning wooden bowls. This was the type of lathe driven by an
overhead springy branch and a foot pedal.

Some of William's stories of this and other adventures can be found in
Stefan's Florilegium (was the SCA Rialto Files). William is also a good
story teller.

Stefan li Rous
I would like to hear more details about any cooking ovens built at Pennsic
or other events.