SC - Cream

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Thu Aug 21 08:19:37 PDT 1997

Well, I decided that since this recipe is for a Custard presumably
from Lombardy, that I'd take a look at what Platina would do in this
situation (Venice, 1475). How's this:

Custard Tart
Make a little crust as I said in the section on rolls. Put in two egg
yolks that have been well-beaten, milk, cinnamon and sugar, and stir
it near the hearth until it thickens. This is praised by Cassius, and
not without some cause, for it is of considerable and good
nourishment, helps those suffering from consumption and hectic fever.
It helps the stomach, liver, and kidneys, increases fertility and
fattens the body.

Apparently we here have beaten eggs adding in the milk and seasonings.
Also he stirs this near a source of warmth. It is possible that the
temperature of the kitchen may make a difference in how the custard
will "bear himself up" even if we aren't talking about the much higher
temperatures o fhte hearth? It can get quite warm in Italy and a
kitchen would be a fairly warm place to begin with, as well. Is it
possible it is a combination of the two in that the eggs should be
beaten first and then mixed and all should be done in a warmer area? I
had been somewhat under the impression that straining in period was
more like pushing something through a cheesecloth than our modern idea
of putting it in a strainer and letting it pour out. The former should
shove a lot of air into the mix as well as mixing it up quite well.
Just some other possibilities to throw into the debate.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Barony of Bjornsborg, Ansteorra
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio, TX)
zarlor at acm.org