SC - re: cheap meats/marinating

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Aug 21 18:03:05 PDT 1997

"Melissa Martines" <melissa.martines at mail.corpfamily.com> writes:
>      What cut of meat should I try to buy that would be relatively cheap,
>      but not tough?

and filip o'the marche gives several suggestions, including:

> marinade the meat
	most marinades will tenderize the meat.
	vinegar, onion juice, and other components all help break it down.

My secret:  Cheap wine.  Really cheap wine.  Very acidic (acid tenderizes the meat) and, coincidentally, inexpensive too...

My favorite "roast" wine is Carlo Rossi burgundy ($3.99 to the half-gallon).  If you marinate meat in it overnight it will be a bilious ugly purplish color; but it will taste GLORIOUS....

My favorite cut of meat (esp. when I'm doing a roast):  Cross-rib.  Very nice (when cooked right) and surprisingly inexpensive.  Your butcher should cut it for you in whatever incarnation you wish.  I usually just make the whole roast

btw, another friend of mine SWEARS by blackberry Manischewitz as a roasting wine.  She also recommends fruit, as brid hecgwiht suggests.

Just my US$.02

	- kat

"Live, live, live!  Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

          - Auntie Mame