SC - Re: Mike's Swedish Chinese Experience

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 22 10:01:19 PDT 1997

Master Adamantius writes, describing a Swedish interpretation of a
Chinese meal:

> The menu featured an appetizer that was apparently composed of blintzes
> filled with well-washed sauerkraut and shredded ham, deep-fried and
> served with apricot preserves on the side. Also available were frozen
> beef ravioli, boiled, with soy sauce. Roast duck was served with ketchup
> and lovely Swedish pancakes. They apparently DID get the scallion
> brushes right, which Mike assures me only made it worse. Actually he
> told me he rather enjoyed the meal, partly due to the laughs it
> provided.
>
> The mind boggles at what might have ensued had the ladies visited
> Lombardy...
>
> Adamantius

Oho-- you don't think that restaurant remarkable for its rarity? ;) On
Pico Boulevard in Santa Monica, southern California, there is a corner
shop near 32nd Street that repairs Swedish Cars, called Viking Volvo.
Next door-- and the logic escapes me-- is "The Viking Table", subtitled
"A Chinese Smorgasbord". The fascia had the usual Chinese good luck
symbols, and overall it's done in a blue-and-yellow paint scheme with a
few Swedish flags...

After having driven past the place for a few years, a group of goggling
friends and I actually ate there about fifteen years ago. Within the
dining room was a large-ish buffet setup with a mixture of about eight
really bland heavily American-interpreted Cantonese foods, together with
about eight Swedish foods, including meatballs. Competent food, nothing
specially bad or good. And rather than any sort of sweet-and-sour or
'lobster' sauce, the sauce supplied for dipping the egg rolls and fried
wontons was indeed unadulterated ketchup.

The restaurant is still open to this day. Though The Viking Table isn't
quite the pure experience Mike's 'Chinese' restaurant was, perhaps it
would suggest memory reproduction described combined with the fell
intent to share the experience via a restaurant is not so (cough) rare
as one might suppose.

ciorstan
(who was told her maternal grandfather owned the only Chinese restaurant
south of the Mason-Dixon line thirty or more years ago-- and is now
going back to the corner. Bad Ciorstan, no bisquit)