SC - capers

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 22 16:42:14 PDT 1997

Marisa Herzog wrote:

> *what* are capers?  seeds? berries? pickled?  I have eaten them, and am not
> partial to them.  I know what they look like.  But what are the little
> critters?

They are the buds of a shrub related to the nasturtium. Sometimes actual
nasturtium buds are used as a substitute. Usually they are available in
jars, pickled in brine and/or vinegar in the U.S.A., and are more often
dry-salted in Europe, where they are usually available loose, by weight.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com