SC - pasta carbonara

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Mon Aug 25 13:37:47 PDT 1997

A while back, I had posted about a recipe that was basically a creamless
pasta carbonara, and had been wondering if it might be a period recipe,
being simply a pasta with cheese, bacon and egg tossed together.
Well, while I was channel surfing today, I stopped on the Food Network, as
a show (Taste with David Rosegarten ??), was starting on Pasta Carbonara.
It turns out that the recipe I had posted was amazingly close to the
recipe that he prepared, and that adding cream to a carbonara sauce was an
american addition.   Unfortunately, he gave some history to this sauce,
and although he had a few possibilities for the origin of this dish, none
of them came close to being in period.  The earliest seemed to be 1850's
or so.  One of them was that some GI's after WW II brought some eggs and
bacon to some Italians and asked them to make something from them.

SO I finally got an answer, the dish is dreadfully out of period....
although its still delicious.

Kael