Re- SC - chicken on string

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Fri Aug 1 16:57:37 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Rosalinde gave an interesting camping chicken recipe and said:
>
> >I like to par-boil some root vegetables, and let the juices of the
> >chicken drip into that pot -- it's just wonderful.
>
> >Clear as mud, right?  <grin>
>
> Uhh, not quite. Newbie cook time:
>
> 1)What is "par-boiling"?

It's sort of pre-cooking the veggies, where you boil the vegetables to
get them started cooking, but you only cook them about half-way.  The
roasting finishes cooking, and the chicken juices dripping into them
give added flavor.

> 2)If potatos are out because they are not period, what were
> the period root vegetables? Turnips? (blech), carrots?

I used carrots, parsnips, and turnips, with some onions added that I
didn't par-boil (they're not as hard as the others).  When they're
roasted this way, they take on a very different flavor, and you might
enjoy them.  Then again, maybe not.  <grin>

Rosalinde
- --
Donna Kenton * Rosalinde De Witte * donna at dabbler.com *
http://www.dabbler.com/