SC - Re: "Another Novice Recipe Challenge"

Karen Williams brettwi* at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 2 12:04:31 PDT 1997

Master Adamantius quoth:

> Here goes--
>
> >From the Forme of Cury, recipe # 189:
>
> "Benes yfryed. Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten. Take and
> wryng out 6e water clene. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
> 6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce, &
> serue it forth."

All right, my second attempt: ;)

Beans Fried. Take beans and seeth them almost (un)til they burst. Take
and wring out the water clean. Do thereto onions (something) and minced,
and garlic therewith, fry them in oil or in greast, and do thereto
powder douce and serve it forth.

Sounds like refried beans to me! (guffaw) I'd soak dry beans though the
recipe doesn't call for it, but if starting with fresh beans, I would
boil gently until the beans plump up almost to bursting (however if one
or two burst I wouldn't sweat it), then saute minced onion in olive oil,
add the minced garlic at the last moment (to avoid scorching or turning
the garlic bitter) and then the beans. Sprinkle the beans with powder
douce (which I haven't yet thought about what I'd like in it other than
a mixture of ground galingale, cinnamon, sugar and perhaps a wee smidgen
of white pepper for zing) and serve promptly.

ciorstan