SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Sun Aug 3 08:30:41 PDT 1997

On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Unto the Noble Readers of this list, from Gideanus Tacitus Adamantius,
> Greetings!
>
> So, what shall we play today?
> Here goes--
>
> >From the Forme of Cury, recipe # 189:
>
> "Benes yfryed. Take benes and see6 hem almost til 6ey bersten. Take and
> wryng out 6e water clene. Do 6erto oynouns ysode and ymynced, and garlec
> 6erwith; frye hem in oile o6er in grece, & do 6erto powder douce, &
> serue it forth."

Place beans in boiling water and allow to simmer until they nearly
"burst" and then strain.  Meanwhile, saute some minced garlic and
minced onion in bacon grease add the beans and continue to fry the whole
mixture.  Add cinnamon, ground cloves, and sugar.  Cook until it slightly
caramelizes and serve.

Note:  Is brown sugar period???  If so, then I think it would be more
appropriate than white sugar.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of Baked beans, which I think had
too large an influence on my redaction.