SC - The siege cook challenge

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Tue Aug 5 13:47:14 PDT 1997

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997 GARNER at admin.hnc.edu wrote:

> Please forgive one last small minor question re: the siege-cook challenge:
>
> 	The original challenge stated that it is July.  One of the
> 	amazing respondees (you were ALL amazing) sent a child out to
> 	the garden to look for violets to garnish something-or-other.
> 	Were the violets of medieval/Renaissance Europe very different
> 	from the violets that I know here in the San Francisco area?
> 	Here they tend to bloom in February.

I'm not sure what kind of violets bloom in San Francisco, but I remember
growing up in New Jersey (I think that they are the NJ state flower) and
picking violets around Mother's day.  My bet would be that they bloom at
particular temperatures.  It gets warmer earlier in SF than in NJ and NJ
gets warmer earlier than parts of Europe.  So violets might bloom later
there.

Kael