SC - Advice, please!

Stephanie Rudin rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Aug 5 14:55:46 PDT 1997

     Sorry - I should have just gone ahead and added the author's redaction
     on my first posting.  Here it is.

     Mercedes
     rudin at okway.okstate.edu

     Chicken in Lemon Sauce

     1 KG (2 lbs) chicken drumsticks
     or 800 G (just over 1 1/2 lbs boneless breasts)
     2 onions, chopped
     1-2 tblspns oil
     1 cup ground, blanched almonds
     2 cups chicken stock
     1-1 1/2 tspns ground ginger
     freshly ground pepper
     salt (depending on saltiness of stock)
     1/2 teaspoon pure saffron (threads)
     infused in 1/4 cup hot stock
     juice 1-1 1/2 lemons

     Trim chicken pieces as necessary, pat dry.  Heat oil in a wide shallow
     pan (large enough to hold the chicken comfortably in one layer).
     Lightly fry onions until soft, but do not allow them to colour.  Add
     chicken pieces and slowly seal on all sides, again without browning.

     Place almonds in a food processor.  Add hot stock and process for
     about two more minutes.  Using a course sieve, strain this almond milk
     over the chicken, pressing down on almond residue to extract all the
     liquid.  The almond milk should have the consistency of thin cream; it
     will thicken during cooking.

     Add ground ginger and saffron seeped in stock, together with a good
     grinding of pepper.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes (for breasts) or
     30 minutes (for drumsticks).  Reduce the lid and increase the heat to
     boil the sauce down to a thick, creamy consistency.  Add the juice of
     1 lemon, taste, and if necessary add more lemon juice.  The lemon
     flavor should be distinct but not overpowering.  Check for seasoning
     and add a little salt if desired.