SC - skirret, succession-houses and nettles

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Wed Aug 6 12:57:16 PDT 1997

Dear all and sundry,

This is my first message to the list.  I am another Adamastorian
(Cape Town, South Africa), formerly of Lochac (Hi to any Stormholders
out there).  I have two comments and a question.  First, that skirret
is alive and well and can be got via some seed merchants.  Mine in
Australia was Phoenix Seeds in Tasmania, who also give
historical provenance, level of organic production of seed, and
culinary/medicinal uses.  Incidentally, I found a period poem -oh,
years ago - from Scotland about the glories of wild carrot.
Something about honey underground between St. Andrew's Day and
Christmas.

Succession houses were used up to WW1 on the great estates.  They are
greenhouses that are designed to produce fruit successively (say, one
house per month comes into fruit, so you might need 6), and a well-
run garden should apparently be producing peaches from Christams
until the end of the natural flowering season.

Now the question - I have come across references to the Celts' use of
Lady's Bedstraw and Nettles in cheese-making.  Apparently they curdle
the milk, which saves bumping off the calves.  I am told that Lady's
Bedstraw also dyes red, and this is the reason for Red Leicester
cheese being red - long memories on the part of the cheesemakers
(blessed or otherwise).  OK - dried nettles do not work.  I tried
that idea. I presume then that it's the juice of the fresh herb.  Has
anyone any prior experience/knowledge/information on this?

Cairistiona nic Bhraonnaguinn

Dr. Ian van Tets
Dept. of Zoology
University of Cape Town
Rondebosch 7701 RSA

ph: +27 +21 650 3641 (w), 650 3301 (fax), 47 5324 (H)