SC - Redaction 101

GARNER at admin.hnc.edu GARNER at admin.hnc.edu
Fri Aug 8 08:54:12 PDT 1997

I have a question about someone else's redaction.  I figure this lady
must know what she's doing...someone allowed her to publish a book. :-)

The book:     The Medieval Cookbook
The author:   Maggie Black
The recipe:   "Rapey...Fig and Raisin 'Cream'"

The recipe starts out "Take half fyges and half raisouns..." and the
redaction calls for dried, not fresh, figs.   Why?  Are we supposed
to assume dried figs because the raisins are a dried fruit?  Since the
fruit gets cooked, ground & strained, maybe our forebears wouldn't have
wasted fresh figs in this manner?  Is Ms. Black just assuming that fresh
figs aren't readily available?

My curiosity is partially fueled by the fact that in the courtyard outside
my office there is a huge and prolific fig tree.  I don't know what kind
of figs they are, but right before they fall off the tree and get swept
up by the groundskeepers, they turn a dark purple-ish color.  We
probably sweep up & throw away 25 lbs. of figs each year.

Juana Teresa
GARNER at ADMIN.HNC.EDU