SC - Period Root Vegies

Uduido at aol.com Uduido at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 08:40:40 PDT 1997

<<  what were the period root vegetables? Turnips? (blech), carrots?

 There are various kinds of turnips, and they have various flavorings.  I'd
experiment if I were you....  Carrots, onions, turnips, kohlrabi, I dunno.
Ras? >>

Unto the SCA-cooks do I, Lord Ras, send greetings and salutations! May you
never see the bottom of your fish barrel!

Back from war. I had the pleasant opportunity to meet a few of you there if
only for a brief moment, and the dubiuos privelage of wandering all over
Pennsic on Sat. looking for Gunthar, who forgot to tell me where he was
camped, after he visited Sat. evening. (By the way, Gunthar, I was in camp at
the time. The guards at the gate were apparently new and did not realize that
I was excepting guests. :-( )

My short meeting with Mistress Alys Katherine was inspiring. She is truly a
most gracious and lovely lady.

On to root vegetables: Carrots (red, white and purple varieties); turnips
(both white and purple-top varieties); rutabagas (used mostly as stock feed);
kohlrabi (technically a swollen stem and considered a 'cabbage' in period as
were kale and collards); parsnips; salsify (oyster plant); radishes (black
winter, red and white long); parsley root (not the herb parsley).
Questionable root vegies would be sweet potato and regular potato although
these would have been used only very late in period and then would have been
served as a novelty).

Celery is not a root vegetable. Indeed, IMHO, celery was not eaten as a
vegetable in Europe except on rare occasions because it was considered as a
medicinal herb.