SC - non-chicken eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 21 17:09:10 PDT 1997

Mark Harris wrote:

> Where would you get duck or goose eggs? Do some groceries carry them?

Yes. Probably the best place to get them is on a farm, but I've seen
them many times in Asian markets.

> I've never had them. Are they bigger? richer? or what compared to
> chicken eggs?

Duck eggs are a bit larger than a standard jumbo hen's egg, and a goose
egg larger still, sometimes with a volume roughly equal to that of a
billiard ball. They are richer than hen's eggs, with a higher fat
content in the yolk.

> Any medieval recipes for things like turtle eggs? Or were there no
> big turtles in Europe?

There may have occasionally been some kind of sea turtles going ashore
on the Atlantic coasts, but I'm not aware of any period recipes for
them.

There IS a subtlety mentioned in one of the late-period or post-period
sources, which calls for making a giant artifical hard-boiled egg out of
a dozen hen's eggs. That's about the closest I can think of, offhand. If
I remember correctly, the eggs of reptiles have no albumen in them, so
there is no "white" to speak of. If you boil an alligator egg, I
understand that the yolk cooks as you might expect, but the clear liquid
remains just that.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com