SC - non-chicken eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 22 04:48:12 PDT 1997

Carla S. Tucker wrote:

>         My grandmother who ate goose eggs frequently as a child on a farm
> in Canada claims they are bitter and leave an unpleasant aftertaste.
> Could it be that whatever they fed the birds made their eggs taste bad?

It's possible.

It's also possible (and I say this with respect) that people growing up
on farms in the earlier parts of the century might have a different
level of respect for some farm produce which more modern folk may not
understand. For example, my mother-in-law is from the highlands to the
north of Kwangtung, China, and we recently had dinner with her in a fine
Chinese restaurant in New York. We ordered, among other things, several
lovely vegetable dishes, and she _appeared_ to enjoy them, showing much
grace in her appreciation. My wife informs me she later told her that
the majority of the vegetables we had chosen were in fact what she used
to use as animal feed on the farm, that she wouldn't have dreamed of
eating but for fear of offending her host (me). The amazingly tender,
sweet, baby pea shoots and leaves come to mind.

I wonder if your experience may be part of an earlier day's reverence
for the chicken, which we have lost to a great extent because our
chickens are generally characterless factory products when compared to
the real thing. This would probably extend to the eggs, as well.
Free-range eggs are a wonderful thing, but I can't really say if they
are better or worse than duck or goose eggs (which do seem to have
slightly higher sulfur content in the yolks, BTW).

OR, maybe they just fed the geese something that made their eggs taste

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com