SC - Period Chutney Recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 26 09:17:11 PDT 1997

Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> Guess what I've been doing for the last 24 hours? Period Chutney research.
> :-) This recipe is from 'The Forme of Cury'  It is to all intent and purposes
> a 'chutney'. Other chutney-like recipes appear in Apicius and Le Manigier. It
> is GREAT with cold cooked meat!
>
> COMPOST
> FC 103
<recipe snipped>

I second the motion! Just a couple of comments on compost: there are
recipes for it in Le Menagier de Paris, as well as Das Buoch Von Guter
Spise, which primarily gives the recipe for the spiced sauce, and
suggests different vegetables that can be preserved/served in it. Also,
a variant can be found, I think, in the XIIIth century Northern European
cookbook, one version of which is also known as The Icelandic Medical
Misellany.

Best of all, I should point out that this stuff keeps for a long time,
especially if you put it, while hot, into a sterile canning jar. You
could do the whole thing with the pressure canner, I suppose, but I've
never found it necessary in this case. I have a couple of jars of
compost that are around two years old, and the one I opened last week
was just fine.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com