SC - Re: Beginners Seige Cooking Challenge TRY II

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Aug 30 22:24:06 PDT 1997

Just when I thought the week was hectic enough, my mail got lost. . .

As one of the three cooks working off the list that Master Adamantius was
kind enough to provide, here is what I came up with.

Despite the French flavor of the ingredient list, I went with what I knew.
 (OK, I admit it, my German background makes me a bit wary of all things
French. ;->)  If anyone is interested I can go more into my thought processes
on this, since I used no set recipies.

My dishes were:

Stew: left over roast beef, bacon, "long white turnips" (parsnips), 12
carrots,
         cabbage, thyme, sage, salt

Cabbage with butter and salt: (cabbage cooked in a large pot with a small
amount of
         water, more steamed than boiled)

Rice

Herbed Chicken: chicken marinaded in olive oil with garlic, thyme, sage,
parsley,
          shallots, rosemary, and salt.  I cooked the chicken in a skillet
but this
          marinade would also work for baked chicken, or grilled chicken.

Pears in Red Wine Sauce:  sauce: red wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves

I don't how period any of it is, but it seemed to be well accepted and the
left overs are fantastic.

Noemi
varju at aol.com