SC - The siege cook challenge.

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Fri Aug 1 17:28:04 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Kael asks:

>You're always-meaning-well mother knows you like to cook and knows you
>enjoy "that Renaissance stuff", so she gets you a pasta maker for your
>birthday, On the grounds that you have to make her an authentic Medieval
>dish complete with home-made pasta.  She is imagining something along the
>lines of spaghetti and meatballs in a marinara sauce. (cringe).  What do
>you kind of dish would you make for her that would a) be period, b) be
>agood first run with the pasta maker, and c) not offend her "modern
>palate"???

Well, I'd probably cheat and not use it, but claim I had.  I'd make
ravieles (medieval ravioli; common in the English corpus from the 13th
C, the earliest version stuffed with blended cheese, butter, etc., in
a cheese sauce, later ones stuffed with all sorts of things), and perhaps
lozenges (noodles and cheese), cressee (a different noodles and cheese),
or macrows (you got it: yet another noodles and cheese).

So far as I know, it's as easy to make the noodles by hand, and easier
to make the ravieles that way, but you don't really have to tell her.
I'm not familiar with extruded pasta in period, though it would be a
way to fake the hollow noodles in Platina that are actually rolled solid
and then hollowed out by hand.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry