SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge - Notes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Aug 2 07:15:42 PDT 1997

Hi!

Just in case these arrive in the wrong order, here's the deal. I've
posted a Middle English recipe for benes yfryed, with no translation
into modern English. Rather than assume everyone would want a "modern
translation", I elected to include all that and a couple of notes in a
separate post. Here it is:

No! Wait! Hode da phone!

I was just going to translate the recipe into modern English, but
instead, since I'm feeling cantankerous, I'll just throw in what I
consider the barest essential notes. If and when folks feel that they
need an English translation of this, I figure someone will let me know.
In the mean time I advise people to try reading it phonetically once or
twice.

1. Benes = beans

2. Ysode and "see6" are both forms of the same root word, and are more
or less the same as the modern words "sodden" and "seethe",
respectively. They concern boiling.

3. Powder douce is a premixed spice powder, made from sweet spices like
cinnamon, cloves, and/or anise seeds. Some sources maintain it contained
sugar, while some claim it didn't.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com