SC - canning

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Sat Aug 2 07:20:21 PDT 1997

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997 Uduido at aol.com wrote:

> << Do you do this in a pressure cooker? Or is there a special device
>  needed for this pressure canning? >>
>
> I use a pressure cooker. A pressure canner is a commersial unit well beyound
> the financial range of most ordinary people. My cooker has a gauge that goes
> up to 20 + lbs. and I have a safety valve installed (various safety levels
> can be purchased seperately from the manufacturer) that "blows it's ttop" at
> 13 lbs./sq. in.

I've never done any pressure cooking (someday when I'm rich I plan to get
a pressure cooker), so I might be off here but normal air pressure is
about 15 lbs/ sq in.  So should I infer that it blows its top when the
pressure inside is 13 lbs/ sq in greater than the outside air pressure of
15 lbs/ sq in for a total of 28?  Is this the standard for pressure
cooking?

kael