SC - introduction with a question

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Sat Aug 2 16:30:54 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Lady Fiona (from Northkeep -- see the P.S.!) asked
about desserts.  It's hard to say what's my favorite; I know a lot of
them.  Here are some options:

1.  I have a version of Pears in Confit that, if I have a favorite,
probably wins the stakes.  Problem: lots of wine.  It's significantly
boiled, so that I doubt anyone could become tipsy even drinking the
sauce in quantity, but still.... And it's probably not optimum for
serving to children (I don't know how old the scouts you work with
are) anyhow.  Palates change as we get older, and I'm not sure this
is something kids would go wild for.  OTOH, I do, and everyone I've
served it to does.  Moderately complex.

2.  I have a version of a dish that the collection it's in calls
simple a bake mete.  It's essentially douceties (cream custard
pies) with pears in them.  Simplicity itself to make, but lucious.

3.  I'm very fond of the version of Flaun of Almayne in Cariadoc's
Miscellany.  It's another pie, with ground apples, pears, and raisins
in a custardy base.

4.  If you leave the pears out of the second, you have douceties.
You can make these wonderfully neat looking by coloring.  The
period versions I know are colored with saffron, parsley juice,
or strawberry juice.  In the latter case, you can make them even
prettier by arranging artfully shaped strawberry slices on top.

I'll be happy to post recipes for the first two (the recipe for the
fourth follows by obvious deductions) later tonight.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry

P.S.: My husband and I just moved to Northkeep!  Let's get together
some time.  You can email me either at jtn at cottagesoft.com or at
gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu), and we can make an arrangement.