SC - spanish cooking

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Mon Aug 4 09:49:16 PDT 1997

> the bride at our next event/wedding expressed an interest in Spanish food
> so i was wondering if the rescipies from al-andilusian in the miscellany were
> also spanish . what types of things did the non-muslim part of spain eat?

The earliest source I know of from non-Muslim Iberia is the 14th-c.
Catalan Llibre de Sent Sovi.  This is not technically Spanish (ask any
Catalunyan!), but it's a region which is now part of Spain, and the
language is close to Spanish.  We made a feast from this and a slightly
later Catalan source in February; see
"http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/sca/cooking/st.val.feast.html".

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch