SC - Advice, please!

Stephanie Rudin rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:34:01 PDT 1997

     I am doing my first feast the first weekend of September and I am
     trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.  One of the recipes
     I've chosen is from "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" by Barbara
     Santich.  The recipe is given three ways, once in the original italian
     (at least I think it's italian - going back to italian class in high
     school almost 20 years ago), once in an english translation and once
     in the author's redaction.

     Di Limonia Di Polli (from Libro della Cucina)

     Friggansi li polli con lardo e cipolle, e pestisi l'amido non mondo e
     distemperesi col brodo de la carne de porco, e colisi, e cocansi con
     li detti polli e spezie.  E se non avessi amido, spessisi il brodo
     colle tuorla d'ova; e quando sira presso l'ora del ministrare, metti
     in quello succhio di limoni, o di lomie, o di cetrangole.

     Limonia of Chicken

     Fry chicken with salted pork fat and onions, and grind unblanched
     almonds and combine with pork stock, and strain, and cook with the
     chicken and spices.  If you don't have almonds, thicken the liquid
     with egg yolks; and when it is nearly time to serve the dish, add the
     juice of lemons or bitter oranges.

     So... my problem is that in the redaction, Santich calls for ground
     ginger, pepper, salt (depending on saltiness of stock) and saffron.  I
     would prefer not to use the saffron because of the cost involved.  (If
     this were for only a few I wouldn't mind but we are planning for over
     100 people and I don't think I can swing it.)  Since the original
     author only says spices, I don't have any clue what to substitute.  I
     am not familiar enough with period cooking to know what would taste
     right and I am not familiar enough with saffron to know what the lack
     of it will do to the recipe's flavor.  The only thing I can think of
     is that the recipe seems to lack garlic, but that might just be a
     personal thing for me.  Hence, I am throwing myself on the mercy of
     the experienced cooks on this list.  I welcome any advice you might
     have.

     Thank you!!

     Mercedes
     rudin at okway.okstate.edu