SC - saffron substitute was-Adv

Sue Wensel swensel at brandegee.lm.com
Mon Aug 4 14:18:49 PDT 1997

>1) most recipes don't seem to call for much (a couple or few threads), so you
>might be able to swing just spring for a single package of the stuff at some
>place like "Trader Joes" that has good groceries for less than bigger name
>chains.

Saffron can be purchased relatively cheaply if you shop carefully.  A bottle
from McCormicks goes for ~$13 but goes a long way. Half a dozen threads work
nicely in a small pot of soup.

>2) my herb books say that calendula or marigold is a substitute, though I
>think this may just duplicate the nice color, I don't know if the flavors are
>comparable?

I don't know about that; the flavor certainly is different.  I have heard taht
safflower is a good substitute, but I have never tried it.

>-brid

Derdriu
swensel at brandegee.lm.com