SC - saffron substitute was-Adv

Anne-Marie Rousseau rousseau at scn.org
Mon Aug 4 21:36:11 PDT 1997

re: saffron substitutes

Good lady, in my experience, nothing substitutes for real saffron. In a
dish such as you describe, you are wanting the flavor as well as the
color. To use anything else will make a a different dish.

You have been given good advice...saffron deosn't cost as much as you
think. You use so little that a small vial will probably do your whole
feast. The best prices I've found on saffron (far better thant he grocery
store, etc) are from Worldspice here in Seattle. They do mail order...you
can drop them an email at hill at worldspice.com. Waring...he only sells the
freshest spices, so if the saffron is not in season yet, he won't have
any. But you can try him, anyway. He's got all kinds of medieval spices!

If you decide that the thought of saffron is just too much for you, you
might try the dish with another mix of spices. Pepper, ginger and a bit
of cinnamon comes to my French mind (poudre forte, anyone?). It will be
av ery differnt dish, as I said, but since the original recipe didn't
specify...

Go with the saffron, though, I think it will be lovely!

- --Anne-Marie

- --
Anne-Marie Rousseau
rousseau at scn.org