Re- SC - chicken on string

Mark Harris Mark_Harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Tue Aug 5 11:09:57 PDT 1997

Tibor answered my question about parboiling:

  >I like to par-boil some root vegetables, and let the juices of the
  >chicken drip into that pot -- it's just wonderful.

  1)What is "par-boiling"?

par.boil \'pa:r-.bo.il\ vt [ME parboilen, fr. parboilen to boil thoroughly,
   fr. MF parboill]ir, fr. LL perbullire, fr. L per- thoroughly (fr. per
   through) + bullire to boil, fr. bulla bubble - more at FOR : to boil
   briefly as a preliminary or incomplete cooking procedure

Thanks. But I'm not sure why you would want to do this. If this isn't
for pre-cooking the root vegetables before they go in the pot, why
would you want to do it? Does it seal the outside so that the juices
dripping from the chicken don't make the vegetables soggy? It doesn't
seem to be for easing the peeling of the vegetables, which was another
use of parboiling mentioned.

Stefan li Rous