SC - succession houses?

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Tue Aug 5 17:48:37 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Stefan asks what a succession house is.  Succession
houses are a serious of forcing houses at graded temperatures, through
which plants (up to small trees) can be moved, to cause them to fruit
at particular times.  The term is relatively modern, but I recall
reading (in something I trusted) that they go back to the middle ages.
The OED documents the word "greenhouse" back to 1664; how far back
greenhouses themselves go, I know not.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry