SC - Parsley

Fri Aug 8 06:42:15 PDT 1997

  Bearing in mind that too much iron can be seriously "bad for you" -- I
  think it causes some kind of heart problems.  In fact, of all the
  vitamins and minerals to be found in a typical American home, iron is
  apparently the only one that poses a serious risk of overdose.  More so
  for men than for women.

In fact, this appears to be true: when I visited my cardiologist, and
mentioned that my wife and I were "sharing" her pre-natal vitamins, she
strongly urged me to use a lower-iron vitamin pill than those aimed at
"women".  Something to do with increased iron causing increased clotting
factor in men, and the resulting risk of stroke and heart disease.

She did, however, mention that the risk was horribly small, and only of
interest to some like myself, that already has heart disease.

  Of course, I suspect you'd have to eat pounds and pounds of parsley to
  O.D. on iron.

That too is true.  The amount in natural foods is tiny compared to the
unnatural amounts that appear in vitamin pills.

	Tibor