SC - succession-houses

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Thu Aug 14 12:19:10 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Cairistiona suggests checking "orangery".  Both
"orangery" and "conservatory" date to the late 17th C.

With so many of the terms related to greenhouses dating to the 17th C,
and none earlier than the end of the first quarter, I begin strongly
to suspect that regardless what I previously read, that's when the
structures date to.

It's worth considering that while the idea is not particularly
complex, the amount of glass it takes would make it extremely
expensive to execute (at least in any of the obvious ways) for
most of the period we study.

Ah well.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry