SC - cream

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Wed Aug 20 08:26:39 PDT 1997

Terry Nutter wrote:

> Hi, Katerine here.
>
> Concerning whipping/beating, Rosalinde cites the recipe for A
> Dyssheful
> of Snowe.  If I remember right, that's a 16th (or possibly 17th) C
> recipe.

Yes, it's 16th century, from _A Proper Newe Booke of Cookery_.

>  This leads to a  quick observation having to do with how to interpret
> remarks by recognized scholars outside the SCA.  My best impression is
> that *none* of them consider European cuisine after the 15th C
> medieval; that's renaissance, and it's a different cuisine.

I can understand the distinction.

>  So a professional remark to the effect that medieval cooks did (or
> didn't, or could, or couldn't do) something does not entail, in our
> terms, that it was true for all of period; only that it was true
> through the 15th C.

I think it's safe to say that in most areas of study, SCA-wise, we have
to accept that what is appropriate for one century isn't necessarily
appropriate for all of them.  (I'm a fiber junkie, so don't get me
talking about the evolution of spinning or I'll never stop!)

>  This point is particularly relevant to people whose interest lies in
> renaissance cookery, since most of the scholarship people in the SCA
> are aware of applies to medieval cookery, and once you pass through
> the changes that happened in the early 16th C, all bets are off.

My lady, could you be more specific?  What kind of changes so radically
affected the cookery of the later period?  It sounds like many things
happened at once.

Rosalinde
- --
Rosalinde De Witte/Donna Kenton * donna at dabbler.com *