SC - non-chicken eggs

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Fri Aug 22 07:32:05 PDT 1997

Gretchen M Beck wrote:

> > I believe it's the Book of Good Spice (whose German Name I don't
> > remember at the moment), so end of the 15th C.

and Adamantius replied:

> That would be Das Buoch Von Guter Speiss you're thinking of, but ...

Just so there's no confusion, we have a false cognate here.  The last
word in the title is spelled "Speise" in modern German, and means
"food" or "dining" or "dishes".  Compare the modern German word
"Speisesaal", or dining room.

(he says, remembering with embarrassment translating the Spanish
"remover" in the Manuscrito Anonimo as "to remove" rather than
"to stir")

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                           sbloch at panther.adelphi.edu