SC - real cream

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Aug 22 08:02:31 PDT 1997

Back in the dark ages when my children were babies, I knew a woman who
owned two jersey cows.  She milked daily, pasteurized, and then sold the
milk and cream.  I used to get two gallons of milk (with cream rising to
the top) and a pint mayonaise jar of real cream every week.

Now this cream would not pour.  It was more the consistency of soft butter
or modern sour cream.  You had to scoop it out of the jar with a big
spoon.  You could whip it, and it didn't take a lot of whipping to 'puff'
but would turn to butter in a trice.

If this is the kind of cream that period cooks were working with,
then, yes, it would support an egg right off with no problem and no
additives.  And also, why bother to whip it when it's already the
consistency of creme anglaise or pastry filling?

elaina