SC - Cream

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:22:27 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  In responding to my latest, Lionardo points out
(without meaning to) why I should never post in haste when tired.

Looking at the Platina recipe to get insight into possible techniques
is an excellent place to start; all I meant to say, was that one
shouldn't stop there.

If I were seriously interested in this dish, I'd look at the Platina.
But I'd *also* make a systematic study of all the custard-like dishes
in the English repertoire, and for that matter, all the French ones
I could find.  I'd also make a careful study of every dish in the English
repertoire that calls for straining either eggs or cream.  English
cooks *may* have shared an Italian technique; but they may not.  They
may also have known it, but done something different.

And I'd at least *try* the recipe with raw cream, which is what they
were using, and see whether the instructions as written work.  In fact,
that's what I'd do first.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry