SC - Chutney

Kerry Romano linneah at BellSouth.net
Sat Aug 23 14:18:36 PDT 1997

Michael F. Gunter wrote:

> Since you asked about chutney, here is a quick suggestion for making a basic
> product.
>
> Take a number of fruits or herbs and chop fine. Place them and some cider vinegar
> into a saucepan and simmer until the volume is reduced and the mass collapses.  You
> can make the chutney as smooth or chunky as you wish.  Taste every once in a while
> and add sugar, vinegar, spices or whatever to suit your taste.
>
> I know this is vague but there are so many types of chutney out there that I might
> as well have described how to make "stew".
>
> I think a lemon, orange, apple chutney would go wonderful on a grilled chicken.
>
> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

I made a wonderful cranberry (not period, I know) chutney that had
sliced almonds in, too.  I liked the crunch.  There is also something I
ran across in the Joy of Cooking that reminded me of a chutney.  It was
called "Cumberland" and called for lemon rind, lemon juice, orange rind,
sugar, mustard, red currant jelly, and port wine.  Suggested serving
with ham or game.  Saound like anything Medieval?  BTW, it's good with
almost any meat.

Linneah