SC - Camping Feast

S. Noss snoss at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 27 09:02:36 PDT 1997

When we go camping I frequently take a roast.  I take the roast frozen
solid in the cooler (including ice or some other cooling agent).  It
usually is still frozen on the second day.  I ALWAYS cook it in a cast
iron dutch oven/pot using hot rocks.  At breakfast we put lots of rocks in
the fire to heat up.  Then let the fire wind down with  a nice bed of
coals. Put some rocks on the coals.  Put the dutch oven on the rocks and
surrond it with the rest of the rocks.  Cooks while you are away having
fun (even for starting out frozen)- needs no attention and always turns
out great. My guess is that chicken could cook the same way, maybe for a
shorter amount of time.

Shirley