SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #224

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Aug 1 05:08:16 PDT 1997

>Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:38:51 -0700
>From: keane tech <charding at keanesea.com>
>Subject: SC - Heraldry at the dinner table
>
>Margaret writes:
>I'm teaching a class at Pennsic called Heraldry at the Dinnertable,
>which is a survey of where you might find heraldic type things displayed
>at dinner in period.
>
>I'd like to include an "SCA use" section in the class, so I've got three
>questions:
>
>1. How have you used/seen heraldry used in serving dinners at an SCA feast?
>2. If you were the cook/planner, how did you choose the display you did?
>3. If you documented it, can you give me the rundown/citations?
>
>Thanks much!
>
>toodles, margaret

Things I've done with heraldry:

1. All desserts were to be Principality colors (red and white)
2. All desserts were to have an Escarbuncle (8-pointed star)
3. Cookies in the shape of the device.
4. Cake with device (NOT medieval, I'm afraid, at all).
5. Meat pies (coffin type) whose decorations included heraldic type stuff.
6. Meat pies in the shape of towers, flying the flags of the nobles present
(Taillevant---he's got some other good things in there!).
7. Gingerbread in the shape of  a critter.
7a. Gingerbread shield, with the device painted on it.
8. Sugar-paste helm (in red and white), with marzipan Torse, filled with red
and white peppermint candy.
9. Tree (really a honeysuckle branch in a pot) scattered with paper
Escarbuncles in red or white, and the "fruits" laying under the tree:
desserts (the above mentioned red and white and escarbuncle desserts),
marzipan, etc....
10. Ham, in crust (Apecius) with fig sauce. The crust decorations included
heraldic stuff....dough is like clay that way!
12. Garnishing in colors. Therefore, Red and White can take the form of
radishes carved in various ways, Red Apple Swans, Red-leaf lettuce (bib),
red sauce with cream poured in a pattern......

Will look for your class. Sounds interesting!

Aoife--in too big a hurry to trot out recipes. See you there!
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957