SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #224

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Aug 1 05:08:13 PDT 1997

Congratulations, Tibor. This looks yummy!

>It says make a stiff pudding.  That means that I'd probably start with
>everything but the cream, and dilute as needed.  I'd have to figure this by
>eye.  Right now, I don't know how big a tench is!  Do I need one cup, or one
>gallon of stuffing?
>
>I'd beat the yolks, gently, just to mix them up, add herbs and spices to
>taste, and the fruit.  I'd probably grab about half as much bread, in volume
>as I have egg liquid (should be about a quarter cup with the currants and 3
>eggs) and add enough cream after it is all mixed, to make a dough that is
>just this side of runny.  Pour that pudding into the fish belly, rub the
>fish with butter, season with the salt, pepper and a little nutmeg, and bake
>in a closed casserole dish.  Probably 20 minutes at 300, or so.  (I'd want
>a cooler oven, and a longer time, so the pudding can set.  The fish is
>already parboiled, so it won't require much cookery.)

I seem to recall that older "pudding" recipes come in three consistencies:
Quaking, which means barely held together by starchy ingredients, so that it
is jiggly on the plate.
Semi soft, which would be more like what you think of a dessert pudding,
slightly more solid.
Extremely dense, such as Figgy Pudding or Cambridge Pudding.

Now that you brought it up, I am wondering which consistency was intended
here? I think you're right to err on the side of "light". I am extremely
fond or savory puddings. I must try your recipe redaction!

Aoife--now definately late.
"Many things we need can wait. The child cannot."
				---Gabriela Mistral, Chilean Poet 1889-1957