SC - The siege cook challenge.

Donna Kenton donna at dabbler.com
Sun Aug 3 13:17:01 PDT 1997

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> However, in the Wild Undocumentable Rumor Department, I recall
> reading (In the New York Times, so it MUST be true ;  )  ) about a
> Southern Italian Renaissance pasta dish, consisting of pasta of an
> unspecified shape, sauced with sauteed orange segments, butter,
> caramelized sugar and toasted almonds. Can't say whether this bears
> any
> relation to reality, though.

Oooh!  Oooh!  I made this -- well, a variation of  it.  I got the recipe
from a friend who had a cookbook that claims this is an Italian Ren.
dish -- no documentation, of course.  And, being me, I couldn't just
leave the recipe alone.

The caramelized orange sauce was way too sweet for my tastes, so I added
some sherry.  It's simply orange juice and sugar cooked down to a syrup,
just amber in color, then I added salt and pepper, a little more juice
and some sherry to thin it down.  Topped with Romano cheese.  It calls
for slivered almonds on top, too, but they're more of a garnish.
Awfully tasty.  If anyone wants specifics, it's at
http://www.dabbler.com/sca/recipe/coronatn.html.

Rosalinde
- --
Donna Kenton * Rosalinde De Witte * donna at dabbler.com *