SC - Booklets

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Mon Aug 4 02:47:16 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.

I'm normally pretty shy about anything that smacks of an ad, but there are
so many people on this list who seem anxious for this sort of thing that
I'm violating my usual rule.  Experienced cooks probably want to move
to the next message now.

I have a couple of booklets that can be ordered by mail.  They were designed
for beginners in the SCA (i.e. there's probably nothing here that an
experienced cook would find particularly enlightening, but people with less
experience may be interested in either or both).

The "big book" has twenty-five recipes from 14th and 15th C England and
France, and some general information on food, ingredients, and stuff like
that.  The recipes themselves are in the format I've been posting here (in
fact, several of the ones I've posted came from there, with some transformation
but not a huge amount).

It's 65 pages (plus front material), in what I think of as the
standard booklet form, that is, 8.5 x 11 sheets folded in half, with four
pages to each sheet (counting both sides, of course), single spaced, in the
smallest print that is easily legible.  This one is 17 sheets plus cover.

The "little book" discusses feast planning and execution, i.e. everything
*except* recipes.  The main topics are:

	* menu design -- including matching to budget, equipment,
	  kitchen, and staff, how to find recipes, and balancing the meal;

	* staff -- who and how many you'll need;

	* preparation -- purchasing, cooking ahead vs. on site,
	  transportation, timing [including allowing for problems with large
	  quantities and thermal mass], getting recipes and ingredients ready,
	  and basic safety;

	* peripherals -- serving, presentation, clean-up, and leftovers;

	* execution -- delegation and disaster control;