Re- SC - chicken on string

Mon Aug 4 05:46:40 PDT 1997

  >I like to par-boil some root vegetables, and let the juices of the
  >chicken drip into that pot -- it's just wonderful.

  1)What is "par-boiling"?

par.boil \'pa:r-.bo.il\ vt [ME parboilen, fr. parboilen to boil thoroughly,
   fr. MF parboill]ir, fr. LL perbullire, fr. L per- thoroughly (fr. per
   through) + bullire to boil, fr. bulla bubble - more at FOR : to boil
   briefly as a preliminary or incomplete cooking procedure

It's a useful technique for a lot of things.  The process is similar to
blanching:

blanch \'blanch\ vb [ME blaunchen, fr. MF blanchir, fr. OF blanche, fem. of
   bl]anc, adj., white [snip] 1b: to scald or parboil in water or steam in
   order to remove the skin from or whiten {~ almonds} {~ kidney}  [snip]

You can use this method to, for example, skin a tomato, or to partially cook
foods without flavoring them.

  2)If potatos are out because they are not period, what were
  the period root vegetables? Turnips? (blech), carrots?

There are various kinds of turnips, and they have various flavorings.  I'd
experiment if I were you....  Carrots, onions, turnips, kohlrabi, I dunno.
Ras?  (Feh, I think he's at Pennsic now).  Also you could use celery, but
that's not strictly a root vegetable, is it?

Chicken?  Oh, chicken!  With PARSNIPS.  Must have chicken with parsnips.

	Tibor

	Tibor