SC - fava beasn

Anne-Marie Rousseau rousseau at scn.org
Mon Aug 4 21:47:56 PDT 1997

Hi all from Anne-Marie!
Re the use of beans in period.

Something to consider...fava beans are not really beans. And they come in
all shapes and sizes and colors. One kind, is in a big pod and looks for
all the world exactly like lima beans. If you dissect one, though, it is
very evident that it is a legume, not a phaseolus (the "belly button" on
the seed is in a different place and is a different shape).

We've done benes yfryd with fava, garbanzos and lentils. Fava was the
standdown tastiest, but only when frehs. Canned fava were nasty.

It is my recollection that there is NO bean (phaseolus) that was
available before Columbus took his little jaunt. Legume we got, and in
all kinds of shapes and colors and sizes, including many that we don't
find these days, especially here in the states.

- --AM, who thinks fresh fava are awfully tasty, even with just butter and
a bit of pepper and lemon juice. Yum!

- --
Anne-Marie Rousseau
rousseau at scn.org