Re- SC - chicken on string

Tue Aug 5 05:31:39 PDT 1997

  >Remove the roast when done, let it stand on the counter for 10-20 minutes
  >while you rescue the pan drippings for gravy, slice at the end of the time
  >period, and serve.  YUM.  Gravy, for me, is taking the pan, deglazing with
  >wine, using a non-period roux and serving.

  Pray tell, what does this last sentence mean? What is deglazing? What is
  a roux?

Sorry, I tend to use cooking terminology without thinking, sometimes.

Deglazing is the process of removing pan drippings and flavorings in
preparation for making a gravy or sauce.  Take the still hot pan, add
anything (preferably wine, but broth or even water will do) and heat the
result, scraping the pan for the crunchy flavorful bits.

The idea is to take the fats and flavors that remain stuck to the pan, and
dissolve them into liquid.  Then, you drain off the liquid and make gravy
with it.  It's how I spend every Thanksgiving, from about 3:00 to 3:30. (:-)

The "roux" is a non-period thickening method.  I believe its origin is
french.  Take butter, or other fat, and brown flour in it.  Slowly, dissolve
broth, wine or stock of some kind into the resulting mixture, making a
golden paste.  This paste can be used to flavor and thicken a gravy.

  >I've had a wonderful marinade, about 3 times, made of South Keype Jalapeno
  >wine and garlic.  Very nice.  Soak the RB in the wine and minced garlic for
  >about 2 hours at room temperature before cooking.

  This sounds wonderful, too. This is a wine that has jalapeno juice in it?
  I think you are saying to marinate the roast in the wine and minced garlic,
  then pour off the juice and roast as above. Or do you not pour off the
  excess?

They made a "Jalapeno wine".   Chop and seed about a pound of jalapeno,
cover with a gallon of water, and add corn sugar and yeast.  Every few days,
add another cup of corn sugar.  When it stops fermenting, it is done.  But
very sharp.  Let it age about 6 weeks to 6 months.

The result is a very intensely jalapeno flavored wine.

Marinate the meat in the roast and minced garlic, and then remove from the
marinade and roast as above.

	Tibor