SC - Another Novice Recipe Challenge

Angie Capozello capozell at ben.dev.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 5 05:55:37 PDT 1997

>Here are a few quick comments on the recipe you redacted.  Firstly,
>why boil the onion?  You would loose all of the wonderful flavour
>that sauteed onions and garlic add to beans.

Well, the recipe did say ysode, which I thought meant to boil - and if
you're like me, and can't stand a strong onion flavor, this is a good
thing.  (not thouroughly cooked onions also upset my stomach)

Secondly, many sweet
>spices do not hold up well to heat as you described cooking them,
>they will loose some of their sweet character and possibly become
>bitter.  Also you run the risk of creating carmelized sugar spicey
>stuff.  Why not just sautee the onions and garlic, add to the beans
>(no need to blot beans) and sprinkle with the poudre douce.  Hint:
>try taking the recipe at absolute face value.  Don't read too hard
>between the lines.  Simplicity is best.
>
>Hope this is helpful---                Aemilia

Sure - I had no idea how long to cook the last part, or what order to put
the stuff in, so I just guessed.  I'm glad to be finding this stuff out
now, before I try to cook it!  One question, if you don't blot the beans,
what does that "Take and wryng out 6e water clene" mean then?

Thanks!

Raffaella