SC - Advice, please!

Mark Harris Mark_Harris at quickmail.sps.mot.com
Tue Aug 5 15:13:52 PDT 1997

Mercedes said:

<snip>

     Di Limonia Di Polli (from Libro della Cucina)

<snip>
     Limonia of Chicken

     Fry chicken with salted pork fat and onions, and grind unblanched
     almonds and combine with pork stock, and strain, and cook with the
     chicken and spices.  If you don't have almonds, thicken the liquid
     with egg yolks; and when it is nearly time to serve the dish, add the
     juice of lemons or bitter oranges.

This sounds like an interesting recipe. I would like to have seen the
author's redaction. Although, perhaps a redaction from here would be
better. Anyone?

I think I get the basic idea, but I'm not sure how many ground almonds and
onions and like Mercedes which spices to use.

Would this be chicken cut into standard pieces or cut into cubes? I assume
the former.

Mercedes, you should not need much saffron if it is in there for coloring
although depending upon which type of saffron it may be there for taste as
well. If it is simply for color, there are other spices which can be used
instead. See the saffron-msg file in the PLANTS, HERBS and SPICES section
of my SCA Rialto Files.

Stefan li Rous
markh at risc.sps.mot.com