SC - Plums period?

Terry Nutter gfrose at cotton.vislab.olemiss.edu
Wed Aug 6 15:57:23 PDT 1997

Hi, Katerine here.  Shirley asks about Italian plums.  I have no idea
about the variety, but plums were certainly known and eaten.  They are
referred to in English recipes as prunes (which are indeed plums, not
the dried things we mean), bolas, or damsyns.  In Curye on Inglysch,
they occur in the following recipes:

	Diuersa Cibaria 49	Qwite plumen (White Plums)
	Diuersa Seruicia 76	Porreyne
	Forme of Cury 98	Erbowle (Bolas, i.e., Plums)*
	Forme of Cury 166	Leche frys in Lenten
	Forme of Cury 172	Tartee
	Forme of Cury 175	Tart de brymlent (Tart for Lent)*
	Forme of Cury 177	Tartletes

	* Other versions of the same recipe occur in Harley 279
	  (first MS in Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books) PD 104
	  & 105, and Harley 5401 #53.

	** Another version in Arundel 334, on pg. 357 of the
	   Society of Antiquaries/Nichols printing.

Cheers,

- -- Katerine/Terry